The Governor of Punjab exempts all establishments, permitting them to keep open for all 365 days for a further period of one year up to 31/5/2024.
Contents News/Article Date:2nd June 2023
Relating to which Act: Punjab Shops And Commercial Establishments Act 1958
Penalty under the Act: Penalties Imposed on Employers
Under the provisions of the Punjab Shops and Commercial Establishments Act, if you contravene to any of the provisions of this Act or the rules made thereunder, and if no penalty has been provided for such contravention in this Act, then once convicted, you would become liable to pay a fine of a maximum of one hundred rupees for the first offense, and then three-hundred rupees, for every subsequent offence.
Note: The fine for the subsequent offences within the same year should not be less than one hundred rupees in any case.
Power to Compound Offenses. Notwithstanding anything contained in the Punjab Shops and Commercial Establishments Act or the rules covered within, if the compounding authority is notified by the Government in the Official Gazette, then he or she will compound the offense committed under this Act and its rules.
Applicable to which State: Punjab
Type: Government of Punjab, Department of Labour, Notification No. 21/08/2017 – 4L (5) / 471 issued by Secretary, Government of Punjab, Department of Labour.
Pertains to: All shops and commercial establishments in Punjab
Relevance of this news: Karma Global is in the business of HR Services, Payroll, Outsourcing and Regulatory Compliances right from its inception in 2004 and since then, has brought in a lot of efficiencies and technological upgradations with experts on its roll, to ease the hassles of Payroll Processing, Temp Staffing, On-boarding, Employee Life Cycle, Statutory, Regulatory and Payroll compliances by providing customized solutions to all its elite clients.
Karma Global has set up its offices in the UK, USA, UAE, Canada and South East Asia and is fully into providing solutions for workplace issues, employment law advice, immigration and negotiation, representation in employment tribunals and involvement in leading cases, addressing HR issues in line with Labour Laws, payroll, staffing and talent acquisition.
And in the current instance:
- This exemption shall remain in operation for the period of one year from the date of Notification published in Govt. Gazette.
- Every employee working in the establishment shall be given one-day holiday in a week without making any deductions from his/her wages on account thereof and a list of the timetable of such holidays for a month shall be placed on the notice board in advance.
- Every employee shall be given a rest period of one hour after 5 hours of continuous work.
- No employee shall be required to work for more than 9 hours in a day or 48 hours in a week.
- If the establishment remains open after 10.00 pm on any day, adequate safety and security arrangements shall be ensured for employees and visitors. vi. As establishments are being given permission to be open for all days’ new staff shall be appointed for the extended time.
- Female employees shall be provided separate lockers, security, and restrooms at the workplace.
- Every employer employing women employees shall constitute an Internal Complaint Committee against sexual harassment of women under the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace
Subject: Governor of Punjab exempts all establishments, permitting them to keep open for all 365 days for a further period of one year up to 31/5/2024.
Attached is the notification