Engagement of women workers in factories at night in Odisha
Contents News/Article Date: 7th October 2023
Relating to which Act: The Indian Constitution grants the Central and state governments the powers to enact laws to protect the employees and foster a professional work environment. Based on the industry, nature of the work, number of employees in the company, location, and more, there are various legislations like the Industrial Disputes Act 1947 (ID Act), Factories Act 1948 (Factories Act), and Shops and Establishment Acts in relevant states (S&E Act).
Applicable to which State: Odisha
Type: Government of Odisha, Directorate of Factories & Boilers, Notification No. DFB – VI (a) / 02 / 2019 / 2905 dated 7th October 2023 issued by Directorate of Factories & Boilers.
Pertains to: All the Assistant Directors of Factories & Boilers in charge of Zones and all the Divisional Deputy Directors of Factories & Boilers in charge of Divisions
Relevance of this news: Karma Global is in the business of HR Services, Payroll, Outsourcing and Regulatory Compliances right from its inception in 2004 and since then, has brought in a lot of efficiencies and technological upgradations with experts on its roll, to ease the hassles of Payroll Processing, Temp Staffing, On-boarding, Employee Life Cycle, Statutory, Regulatory and Payroll compliances by providing customized solutions to all its elite clients.
Karma Global has set up its offices in UK, USA, UAE, Canada and South East Asia and is fully into providing solutions for workplace issues, employment law advice, immigration and negotiation, representation in employment tribunals and involvement in leading cases, addressing HR issues in line with Labour Laws, payroll, staffing and talent acquisition.
And in this instance: It is observed that a large number of factory managements in recent times are seeking exemption under sub section (1) of section 66 (b) of the factories act 1948 read with the factories (Odisha Amendment Act) 2020 for engagement of their women workers between 7.00 PM to 6.00 AM in factories.
The pre requisites required are as follows:
- Total number of women employees to be allowed to work between 7PM to 8AM.
- The consent of women employees in writing.
- Details of work to be carried out by women workers.
- Details of safe transportation facilities for women employees for pick-up and drop at residence in night hours.
- Suitable provisions of Closed-circuit television (CCTV) surveillance at worksite including entry & exit points.
- Availability of rest rooms exclusively for women.
- Provision for dedicated telephone numbers displayed both at the establishment as well as inside the vehicles to utilize in case of any exigency or emergency.
- Mechanism to implement provisions of the Sexual Harassment of Women at Work-place (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 (14 of 2013), as applicable to the establishment.
Subject: Engagement of women workers in factories at night in Odisha
Attached is the notification